So we live in a new town now. Which means we have to find a new church. The only other time I've ever done this is when I went to college. I tried a giant church, a medium-sized church, a cowboy church...I tried avoiding a new church by just going to the one back at home on weekends, and I finally found one when I went with a friend. Amazing how just knowing ONE person can make such a difference.
So now we are looking, and being the unrealistically organized people we are, we have made a list and perused websites to establish potential pros and cons for each. We are really concerned about this--it's a big thing in our lives. There are three we are going to try:
1. The one that's just like ours at home.
2. The big one everyone recommended.
3. The small one that looks friendly on the website.
So far, #1 was super friendly, even though they have church at 9:30 and Sunday school at 11, and we awkwardly came in for Sunday school instead of the service (who DOES that, right?). Turns out one of my good (although a bit long-lost) friend's mom greeted us and introduced us to half the congregation. It was a good time. The sanctuary made us feel like we were in the middle of the country instead of where we really were--in the middle of the city. We even got two lunch offers. If all other factors are equal, we will have to determine the church by how many lunch offers we receive while there. ;)
I've always heard it's important not to try to find a "perfect" church because after all, churches are made up of saved sinners, and we all make mistakes. Totally agreed, but I think there are certain important factors for each person, and those factors need to be met in order for a church to be a good fit. My factors:
1. A healthy church. Clear communication lines, strong leadership, a sense that people in the church actually LIKE each other and the community in which they live.
2. Potential friends. People my age who are seeking the same lifestyle I am seeking, people Luke and I can relate to and hang out with outside of church.
3. A focus on outreach. I think it's important for a church to look beyond its walls to provide emotional and physical support to the community. Taking care of our own spiritual needs is important, but I have to be part of a place that is looking outward to feel like I'm part of something worthwhile.
So who knows what #2 and #3 will hold for us? I just hope that in spite of all my organization, God has pointed us toward a place He will work in us and help us see what role we can play in His big plan at this time and place in our lives.
7.13.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment