At a book fair in first grade, I bought a book called My First Diary and filled it out with a special excitement I’ve felt about few things in life. Since then, I’ve always, always kept a journal. It’s my release and the way I deal with the things I can’t deal with any other way. Last weekend, I got stuck reading through the prayer journal I’ve kept through the past year.
The biggest thing I noticed was that man, last year, was ROUGH! I heard once that if you want to boil a frog (gross), you put it first in cold water and then gradually heat the water. Otherwise, the frog would jump out. I think that was the way the last year was. It started with high hopes and gradually stole away all my hope and energy (a little dramatic? Maybe.) Looking back, I could see how things progressed from not great to bad to worse to hopeless in the space of just a few months.
I’m so happy to be happy now. I literally forgot what that was like—to the point that I didn’t even realize I wasn’t happy. The dramatic changes of a new job and new place to live have brought to light such a stark contrast to the life in which I was stuck that I can’t help but realize how different things are now. I have so much more energy at the end of the day for LIFE.
I can see how God was still with me, even in the darkest corners of those days. Sometimes, I don’t think you can see that until you look back at the whole picture. One thing I wrote in my journal as a prayer (and here’s a disclaimer—I don’t think this is my original thought, but I can’t remember whose original thought it was…) was this, “You mold and shape me every day. You don’t answer the way I want, and that makes you a BIG God. If all you were was what I could imagine you to be, you would only be as big as ME, and I know I wouldn’t make a very good God.”

No comments:
Post a Comment